Lets unwrap this baby layer by layer shall we?
This is the whipped Cream Layer
This is the layered cake with oreo creme filling
This is the filling
This is the cake, from scratch; no box mixes here my pretties!
(Although a box mix is totally within the boundaries of exceptional behavior in my kitchen)
It was a moist, delicious cake and it came together very well. Serve Immediately.
1¾ cup flour
⅔ cup cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter
1½ cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 large eggs, room temperature
1¼ cups buttermilk
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
1 box (16 oz) confectioners sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
3-4 Crushed Oreos for mixing in at the end
1½ cups heavy cream
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups crushed oreos
8 or so whole oreos
1. Heat oven to 350. Coat two 8 inch round cake pans with nonstick spray and dust with flour. Shake out excess flour and set aside.
2. Cake: In medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well-combined. Set aside.
3.In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4.On low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat for 1 minute. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake at 350 for about 36 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for about 10 minutes. Turn cakes out on racks, and cool completely - After an hour I cooled it in the fridge so the filling would spread easier....
5. Filling: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners sugar then milk. Beat for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
6. When layers have cooled, trim off any crowned cake from the tops and discard. Cut each layer in half horizontally. Place one cut layer on a plate and top with ⅓ of the filling. Repeat with two more cake layers. Place last layer on top, cut side down. Refrigerate for 20 minutes until set.
7. Frosting: In a large bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat together the heavy cream, the granulated sugar, and the vanilla until soft peaks form. Generously spread whipped cream all over cake. Place your crushed or chopped cookies all around the sides of the cake. Store in refrigerator.