Caramel Corn

So.....I've been obsessing about this stuff ever since I made it for the first time two days ago. Seriously. I'm trying to watch what I eat....This is a problem for one who loves to cook and for one's hubby whom also is watching his figure. God love him, Kevin is my kindest critic, he's always trying to resist my cooking while it calls his name softly and bats it's eyelashes.... wait, no eyelashes in MY food, thank you.

But darn I can't help myself! with this stuff! Sunday is our "eat whatever the heck strikes your fancy" "free" day.... so I made two batches of this, plus S'mores, for a friend's party. So it was a hit, both batches disappeared. And since then I've been mentally talking myself out of going right upstairs and making myself more.... Someone's gonna have to tie me down soon.
I LOVE chewy-gooey Caramel Corn. My Aunt used to make it, but it was SO complicated that I never bothered. Just wished she'd make more so I could enjoy.

I get intimidated by anything needing a candy thermometer, so I avoid it. Silly because it's never as hard as I think.....But THIS!!
This is a glorious MICROWAVE recipe people!!
I was tempted to keep this baby to myself because lets face it, I'm protective of my most loved treasures, and giving away my best secrets ruins the mystery. If you found out how easy all these recipes are; would you love my cooking as much? Really? You would? How do I know anyone's reading this anyway, no one comments....
(sniff, sniff)

But what fun would keeping this to myself be, I have guilt when I do that. It's a mom thing. Sharing is fun too, so I regretfully (JK) post this scrumptious delight.....



Adapted from Our Best Bites

Easy Caramel Corn
3/4 cup kernels *air popped with extra kernels removed*
Or 2 bags microwave popcorn (if possible, use natural flavor, not buttered)
Pour popcorn in a BIG Bowl

1 C brown sugar
1/4 C white Karo syrup
1/2 t salt (if you are using salted popcorn then omit salt here)
1 cube real butter
1/2 t baking soda
1 t vanilla

Place brown sugar, Karo syrup, salt, and butter in a microwave safe dish. Cut up the butter into chunks so it melts better. No need to stir, just toss everything in there like this....



Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Take it out and stir it together. Microwave for 2 more minutes. Stir really well until well blended. It doesn't look to great yet, but wait!! Add baking soda and vanilla. Stir it really well until it turns a lighter, thicker, beautiful color, then and then quickly pour it over the popcorn. Mix it up well with a big spoon.

DOUBLE BATCH - cook 2:40 then stir then 2:20 then stir
For Chewy Soft Caramel Corn:
You can spread it all out on a piece of foil and let it cool for a minute so it doesn't get stuck in one big clump. But leaving it in the bowl is fine too. The longer it sits out, the firmer it will get, but it won't ever get crunchy-hard unless you bake it. Cover or serve immediately

For Crunchy Caramel Corn:
Spread out on two greased cookie sheets and bake at 200 degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Drizzle it with white or dark chocolate when done if desired.

Comments

  1. MY FAVORITE!! THANKS FOR PUTTING IT UP HERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about your popcorn often throughout the week. I'm going to have to give in and make some! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts